Workshop: "Phonological variation and its interfaces"
En el marc del projecte "Fenòmens d'interfície fonètica-fonologia-morfologia des de la perspectiva de la variació lingüística"
Universitat de Barcelona
Departament de Filologia Catalana i Lingüística General
Within the research project “Phonetics-phonology-morphology interface phenomena from the perspective of linguistic variation” (FFI2016-76245-C3-3-P), we are organizing a two-day workshop about phonological variation and its interfaces, which will be held at the University of Barcelona the 22 and 23 of November 2018. We specifically seek proposals dealing with phonological variation at the interface with phonetics and morphology, from any empirical and theoretical perspective. Contributions might answer, although not exclusively, to some of the following broad questions:
- Is there a factual interface between phonology and phonetics, and between phonology and morphology? Or are these independent components of the grammar? Which are the evidences for one approach or the other?
- How do these three components interact? Are their interactions unidirectional or rather bidirectional?
- How does phonological variation shed light on the interfaces phonology-phonetics / phonology-morphology?
- To which extent morphological requirements constraint phonology and induce phonological variation?
- Can prosodic requirements have an impact on morphology? What are the limits of this impact?
Birgit Alber (Università di Verona)
Andries Coetzee (University of Michigan)
Call for papers
The workshop will feature talks (20-25 minutes, followed by 10-5 minutes for questions). Abstracts should be submitted through EasyChair (please follow this link to submit your abstract) by June, 1, 2018. All abstracts will be reviewed by 3 anonymous reviewers.
Abstract submission deadline: June, 1, 2018
Notification of acceptance: July, 15, 2018
Program announcement: September, 15, 2018
Workshop days: November, 22-23, 2018 (University of Barcelona)
Registration will be open from the end of September until November, 1, 2018.
More details will be posted closer to that time, but we anticipate that registration fees will be around €30 for waged attendees and €20 for student/unwaged attendees.